Thanks For Visiting!

Discover, taste and explore the hidden treasures of downtown Frederick, Maryland, with us. We'll take you on a journey through our historic downtown area, unveiling 6 or more exciting Pearl locations. Our stops are pearl-worthy because they embody the uniqueness of Frederick. Our vibrant present and historic past will unfold simultaneously before you. Stroll the streets at a relaxed pace, experiencing the best Frederick has to offer.

Your tour guides Margo and Karen will introduce you to several business owners who will share their own pearls of wisdom on art, flowers, chocolate, olive oil, cupcakes and interior design. Along the way, count on some surprises! Discover a new perspective and appreciation of Frederick on the Pearls tour.

Join us for this fun-filled 2 hours, where every moment is a gift and hidden gems are around every corner. Wear comfortable clothing, walking shoes and a smile, and enjoy your time with us.


"Where your treasure is, there is also your heart."

- Imprint on the original 1758 five-plate stove located in the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum

"Eyes that look are common, eyes that see are rare."
- J Oswald Sanders


Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Blue In Green

On any given day there are always shoppers at, "the Muse" (19 N Market St; Frederick, MD).  I've met the friendliest people milling about in the store looking for a very special handmade treat or a thoughtful gift.  Early one December weekend, to avoid the holiday rush, I parked at a Market Street parking meter to dash into the Muse and to purchase a Christmas gift card for Karen, my sister.  Snow birds flew overhead in a grey sky, the morning air was chilled.  Bundled in a wool winter coat and gloves I still felt a damp cold hit my face as I stepped onto the curb to feed the meter.  A burst of warmth greeted me as I entered the Muse.

.......But a visit to the Muse can never be rushed!  It is an irresistable haven.  If it was a garden, I believe it would be forever green, growing, brimming with all sorts of plant life, herbs and even flowers!  The place breathes of art, creativity and uniqueness.  What seemed to be moments of window gazing amounted to more than 20 minutes of shopping and holiday story exchanges to a fellow customer and Whitney Bingham, the store owner.

How did this happen?  As Whitney was boxing the gift card and tying it with a pearl grey ribbon, she was sharing the artistry of her "non-wrapped" present for her dog sitter/walker.  According to Whitney to avoid having to wrap, she described the most creative way to "non-wrap" the gift .  I'm certain her dog sitter enjoyed the "non-wrapping" as much as the gift!  There was a young woman behind me.  (When did she arrive?)  She nodded as Whitney shared her description of the "non-wrap".  The young woman explained that she returned to purchase more wine glasses for her mother, she was so excited and thankful that the glasses were not sold out!  (Did she say, "mother"?)  My heart hit a BB King blues note.  "Nobody loves me but my mother and she could be jiving too....", BB's guitar was strumming a minor, bent, blue note through my heart.  This was the first Christmas I would not be selecting a gift for my mom since her passing.  My heart sang yet another blue note, perhaps for all that might have been but was not and for all that was but would no longer be.

Blues melted away as the fragrant memory of my mother's love of life, her laughter lingered in the green glow of the Muse.  (Mom is that you?) I smiled feeling warmed by a rush of good memories, especially holiday ones of my mother.  I felt so good, I thought, what is the rush?  Why not sneak a peak at "The Dreaming" in the morning light and meander up Market Street?  So, I left the store with a gift card box for my sister, and headed to L.O.V.E. Lebherz Oil and Vinegar Emporium.

A visit to the Muse must not be rushed!

No comments:

Post a Comment